Have you ever wondered how you could get involved with the development of a KDE application or library? Did the hundreds of thousands of lines of code look too intimidating? Was it too hard to find a good place to start?
If you answered any of these questions with “yes”, do not despair! Many KDE projects have marked some bugs as “Junior Jobs”, which means that these are probably easy to fix, and are perfect for making the first step to becoming a regular contributor (most KDE developers have started with small patches!). In fact, some of the improvements which I will present below were Junior Jobs that have been implemented by new contributors, and I am very happy about that. Thank you very much and welcome in the KDE community!
If you want to join us, look at the list of all Junior Jobs at bugs.kde.org, or go to the advanced bug search, select your favorite application, and enter “junior-jobs” in the “keyword” field (note that Dolphin does currently not have many open Junior Jobs because quite a few have been taken recently).
If you are a regular contributor to a KDE application already, and you see a bug that is easy to fix and that would be good for new contributors, please consider adding the “junior-jobs” keyword to the bug report!
Here is the summary of all recent improvements in Dolphin:
- Bug 293863: Fix a crash in KUrlNavigator, the class that provides the location bar in Dolphin and the file dialog. Another example of the trouble that can be caused by nested event loops – after running one, you cannot even be sure that the ‘this’ pointer still points to a valid object. For some more details, see the review request and two posts that were pointed out by Dominik Haumann. See git commit f1196e8e, review request 118858.
- Bug 334355: Make it possible to resize the widget in the “Additional Information” dialog. The size that the widget had previously was not sufficient to show all the additional information that Baloo provides. See git commit f3f84504, review request 118088.
- Bug 299328: Highlight the selection toggles (the little ‘+’ signs which make it easier to select and deselect items if the corresponding option is enabled in the settings dialog) if they are hovered with the mouse. See git commit 34a78607, review request 118320.
- Bug 334696: Prevent that the items in the view move to the right in some situations after refreshing the view contents (e.g., by pressing F5). See git commit 098294f4, review request 118319.
- Bug 332102: When collapsing an expanded folder in Details View, make sure that all direct and indirect children are removed. Before this commit, such children could sometimes appear after collapsing their parent folder while navigating folders on slow network mounts. The resulting inconsistencies in the internal data structures could then cause a crash. See git commit e0aec6f9.
- A different problem, which was also mentioned in bug 332102: Tell KDirLister (the class that Dolphin and other KDE applications use to list the contents of local and remote folders) to stop listing all children of a folder after it has been collapsed in Details View. See git commit 4642301e, review request 118055.
- Bug 334999: Do not replace the translated text in the Places Panel by US English if one of multiple Dolphin windows is closed. See git commit 8f020251, review request 118207.
- Bug 335672: Fix possible crash if a kioslave lists multiple items with the same URL. See git commit 4b4cbf5d, review request 118507.
- Bug 332159: Scroll the view to the correct position when going ‘back’ from a folder where hidden files are not shown to a previously visited folder where they are shown. See git commit 4da1c81d, review request 117021.
- Fix memory leak with Dropbox version control plugin. See git commit c9dab5ba, review request 117753.
- Bug 333457: After creating a contiguous selection, e.g., by pressing Shift+Down repeatedly, do not change the selected files if the view is re-sorted. See git commit a637e497, review request 117603.
- Bug 311226: Mount a partition if it is opened in a new tab from the Places Panel. See git commit bd4bc61f, review request 117755.
- Bug 332628: Enable the ‘Next Tab’ and ‘Previous Tab’ toolbar buttons if and only if more than one tab is shown. See git commit 670737cb, review request 117778.
- Bug 333903: Fix the problem that changing the current item, e.g., with the arrow keys, can be very slow if there are many files in the clipboard. See git commit 25e646e9, review request 117782.
- Port Dolphin to Baloo, which has replaced Nepomuk in KDE SC 4.13 and provides lots of improvements. See git commit 5707e1e9 and review on the mailing list.
- Greatly improve the Dropbox plugin by fixing crashes, quite a few other bugs, and reducing the resource usage. See git commit 1a1ba818, review request 114812.
- Bug 293315: Make it possible to resize a Details View column to the optimal width by double-clicking the space between the column headers. See git commit 15f409de, review request 115503.
- Bug 315722: After dropping a file, scroll the view such that this file becomes visible. See git commit f40cc13d, review request 116020.
- Bug 329186, bug 315061: Update the colors and the font if these are changed in System Settings. See git commit f40b80a9, review request 115958.
- Bug 310288: Always go back/forward in history when pressing the corresponding mouse buttons. See git commit 7204392d, review request 116469.
- Bug 323841: Prevent that icons are blurred in the view in some situations. See git commit 70cfa627, review request 113871.
- Bug 326210, bug 310592: Prevent that names of symbolic links are truncated sometimes even though there is sufficient space in the view, and that icons of symbolic links are sometimes shown with an incorrect size. See git commit b8920587, review request 116121.
- Bug 311950: Fix the problem that opening a new tab while searching results in a tab where clicking the ‘close search’ button has no effect. See git commit 54208a66, review request 111968.
- Prevent that incorrect version control states are shown after files have been copied or moved. See git commit 47c8eebe, review request 115410.
- Bug 331876: Fix a possible crash after moving files. See git commit 1cbb06f5, review request 116666.
- Bug 329494: Only initialize the QHash which maps each URL to its index in the view if it is needed, and clear the hash completely if anything changes in the view. This makes loading a folder a bit faster and prevents inconsistencies that could cause crashes in some situations. See git commit e45fc620, review request 115432.
- Bug 283409: When copying selected files to the clipboard or dragging selected files to another application, ensure that the order is the same as the order in the view. Before this commit, the target application received the URLs in random order. Moreover, improve the performance of the function that creates the QMimeData object for the clipboard or for the drag object. See git commit c1ff5204, review request 113515.
- Simplify the version control code and prevent random error messages in some situations. See git commit 986fde3f, review request 114992.
- Iterate through a QMap, rather than through the list of keys that is obtained by calling QMap::keys(), in the version control code. This saves the creation of a temporary QList for the keys. See git commit 3542e67c, review request 115018.
- Since Dolphin 4.12, counting the number of files in a folder, which is shown in the ‘Size’ column in Details View, is done in another thread to prevent that the user interface is blocked while counting files in very large folders. Dolphin 4.12 used one thread per view for this, but now, all views share the same thread to save resources. See git commit 29195b73, review request 115064.
- Continue the efforts to reduce the amount of redundant data that are stored in the class that is responsible for the view layout (see this post for information about some earlier work in this area). In Dolphin 4.12 and earlier, the x- and y-coordinates were stored for every item. Since these coordinates are always the same for all items in one column or one row, respectively, we can save some memory and CPU cycles by storing the x- and y-coordinates only once for each column/row. See git commit de3a06a2, review request 114460.
- Speed up the view layout by calculating the required size of all items in the view in a loop, rather than calling the same function once for each item and executing the initialization code in that function repeatedly. See git commit 75f0b9b2, review request 112979.
- Small simplifications in the class that is responsible for the view layout. See git commit cba1533b, review request 115550.
- Remove some unused functions. See git commit 0e045b72, review request 115627.
- Bug 332792: Show the correct items in a faded color if there are cut items in the view, and the sort order is changed. See git commit 80833d2c, review request 117451.
Thanks to everyone who helped to fix and analyze these issues, or provided helpful feedback after patches were proposed: Emmanuel Pescosta, who contributed an impressive number of patches, Christoph Feck, Marco Nelles, Mark Gaiser, Martin Koller, Renato Atilio, Thomas Pfeiffer, Uzair Shamim, and Vishesh Handa.
We are also grateful to everyone else in the KDE community who helped to make these improvements possible and ship them to our users!